The selection of a good domain name is very important, the domain is your identity on the web. You want people to remember it forever while it fits perfectly with your business. So we prepared a list of tips to select a good domain name that you should take into account.
Tips for choosing a domain name:
- Keep it short: it is hard to find short domain names that are available but try to make it the shortest possible, so it is easier to remember.
- Make it as close to your brand as possible: if the name of your brand or company is available you should use it.
- Make it obvious: In case your brand name is unavailable. Try to choose something that describes your services and niche the best way possible.
- Make it easy to write: While using derivatives from your company name with some spelling variations could be a good idea, it also could lead to confusion. Ex. karwash.com instead of carwash.com.
- Avoid using numbers: When people hear your domain name, they won’t have a clue if they should spell the number (ten) or just use the numeral (10).
- Be original: if your domain name is like someone else’s maybe you will lead traffic to that website instead of yours. (it could work the other way around though)
- Differentiate yourself from others: if your domain name has to be similar to another add something that will make a difference. For instance, you could add the location of your business if it’s local.
- Use the right domain name extension: some extensions have a meaning. And you should respect that to some point. But the reality is that everybody will remember a .com domain name easier than anything else. If a .com extension is not available there are lots of extensions that could fit perfectly with your business or niche. Also, some of them are new so a lot of domain names with this new extension are available.
- Use catchy domain names: sometimes is almost impossible to find a good obvious domain name, so it is the moment to be creative and find something that will stick in people’s minds.
- Be quick: as soon as you pick an available domain name BUY IT, maybe it won’t be available tomorrow, thousands of domain names are sold every day.
Where To Buy Domain Names
Most hosting providers give you the possibility to buy just a domain name without hosting services. Other companies’ main offer is domain names. These companies have a great variety of domain extensions available, beyond the common ones.
Namecheap is a company that has a magnificent offering on domain name extensions, not only for its great variety but because of the amazing prices you can get from them. Visit their website and take a look at the domain name extensions that you can get.
Hosting companies like Bluehost will offer you a combo that includes hosting services and domain names or just domain names. Usually, they offer you the most common extension like .com, .net or .org and maybe some local ones like .com.uk, .com.ve, etc. Depending on where you are and where that hosting company is located.